Cave to Co-op is a partnership among the Neighboring Food Co-op Association (NFCA), the distributor Provisions International, and New England’s artisan cheesemakers. Over the past five years, this program has moved 14 tons of regionally produced cheeses at an affordable price.
Check out this month's special HERE.
The goal of Cave to Co-op is to contribute to a stroner regional food system by introducing local cheesemakers to consumers and encouraging them to try their products. Each month, a new cheese is featured in the program, accompanied by a newsletter article and other promotional materials on the producer. Through the joint effort of these cheesemakers, Provisions International and the member food co-ops of the NFCA, thousands of pounds of cheese have been sold and enjoyed by hundreds of local consumers.
The program is designed to introduce consumers to some of the delicious artisan cheeses of our region, including:
- Organic Champlain Triple (Vermont). A beautiful soft ripened triple créme cheese with a bloomy white rind. A great addition to any cheese plate, made with milk from Journey’s Hope Farm in Bridport, VT, near the shores of Lake Champlain.
- Landaff (New Hampshire). Landaff Cheese is a mild, semi-firm farmstead cheese made from raw cow’s milk in the Welsh tradition. It melts beautifully for cooking and is a great addition to a cheese plate. Landaff is produced by Springvale Farms, which also produces milk for the Agri-Mark co-operative.
- Hubbardston Blue Cow (Massachusetts). A surface-ripened blue cheese that develops a very soft and creamy center upon ripening. A perfect holiday cheese that goes great on crusty bread. Produced by Westfield Farm in Hubbardston, MA.
- Cabot Co-operative Clothboound Cheddar (Vermont). Best enjoyed on its own with a slice of crisp apple or pear, this delicious English-style clothbound cheddar was producedby Cabot Creamery Co-op in collaboration with the Cellars at Jasper Hill in Greensboro, VT.
We hope you will try some new cheeses and get to know the people who make them. Look for the Cave to Co-op logo in the cheese case at your local NFCA member food co-op for this month's offering!
For more examples of the delicious artisan cheeses offerered through this program in 2014, check out the links below:
- February 2014: "Oh My Heart!" Lazy Lady Farm in Westfield, VT
- March 2014: "Great Hill Blue," Great Hill Dairy, Marion, MA
- April 2014: "Original Plymouth," Plymouth Artisan Cheese, Plymouth, VT
- May 2014: "Pyramid Scheme," Champlain Valley Creamery, Middlebury, VT
- June 2014: "Bon Père," Boston Post Dairy, Enosburg Falls, VT
- July 2014: "Invierno," Vermont Shepherd, Westminster West, VT
- August 2014: "Pawlet," Consider Barwell Farm, West Pawlet, VT
- September 2014: "Alpha Tolman," Jasper Hill Farm, Greensboro, VT
- October 2014: "Lillé Bébé," Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company, S. Woodstock, VT
- November 2014: "Paisley Blue," Bonnieview Farm, Albany, VT
- December 2014: "Boucher Blue," Boucher Family Farm, Highgate Center, VT
- January 2015: "Butternut," Willow Hill Farm, Milton, VT
- February 2015: "Oh My Heart!" Lazy Lady Farm, Westfield, VT
- March 2015: "Ayersdale," Bonnieview Farm, Albany, VT.
- April 2015: "Mad River Blue," Von Trapp Farmstead, Waitsfield, VT.
- May 2015: "Champlain Valley Triple Cream," Champlain Valley Creamery, Middlebury, VT
- June 2015: "Ascutney Mountain," Cobb Hill Farm, Hartland Four Corners, VT
- July 2015: "Bijou," Vermont Creamery, Websterville, VT
- August 2015: "Willoughby," Jasper Hill Farm, Greensboro, VT
- September 2015: "Reading," Spring Brook Farm, Reading, VT
- October 2015: "Grafton Clothbound Cheddar," Grafton Village Cheese, Grafton, VT
- November 2015: "Dorset," Consider Bardwell Farm, Pawlet VT
- December 2015: "West West Blue," Parish Hill Creamery, Wesminster West, VT
- January 2016: "Eidolon," Grey Barn, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- February 2016: "Vermont Farmstead Alehouse Cheddar," VT Farmstead Cheese Co., S. Woodstock, VT
- March 2016: "Original Plymouth," Plymouth Artisan Cheese, Plymouth, VT
- April 2016: "Simply Sheep," Nettle Meadow Farm, Thurman, NY
- May 2016: "Crawford" from Twig Farm, West Cornwall, VT.