RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: PREPARED FOODS KITCHEN SHIFT LEADER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Kitchen Manager
Supervises Kitchen Staff in absence of manager
Pay Level: IV, non-exempt.
Location: Northampton, MA
Purpose: To assist the Kitchen Manager with supervising the daily shift operations of the kitchen for a full-service deli; to meet goals for sales, margin, labor expense, and customer service; and provide support to the Prepared Foods Manager for department-wide (kitchen, counter, cheese wheel) supervision as needed in absence of other department supervisors.
PRODUCT FOR SALE
- Prepare and cook items for retail sale following established procedures and specifications of Kitchen Manager and Prepared Foods Manager.
- Provide input on new recipes and products for sale; research and develop recipes based on Manager’s guidelines.
- Accurately label and date all items made with all ingredients every time.
- Ensure freshness of items for sale by rotating, diligent monitoring of dates and keeping batches separate by date, and active promoting of sales of short-dated products while still viable.
- Regularly inspect the product for quality and consistency.
- Review shrink/waste/excess product information logs and provide input to the Manager on controls.
For ingredients and supplies as assigned by Prepared Foods Manager:
- Take inventories and place orders as directed to ensure uninterrupted supply.
- Receive orders, or ensure proper receiving by other deli staff.
- Review invoices for accuracy, break them into inventory categories, and approve payment processing.
- Visit other stores for comparison/contrast of offered items, pricing, displays, etc.
- Make recommendations to the manager based on trends observed.
- Consistently ensure the kitchen is maintained in a safe, orderly, and sanitary condition following guidelines set by the Board of Health, Kitchen Manager, and Prepared Foods Manager.
- Ensure adherence to all food safety/cold and hot storage procedures.
- Create seasonal/special/holiday menu items.
- Advise Kitchen Manager, Prepared Foods Manager, and/or MOD of observed potential equipment repairs, replacements, or upgrades necessary.
- Monitor cooler temperatures; monitor heat unit temperatures. Advise MOD of observed issues.
- Ensure established opening and/or closing procedures are adhered to (including cleaning schedule).
- Pull old or low-quality products and dispose of them properly following established recording procedures.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts.
SUPERVISION & LEADERSHIP
- Create/maintain/organize prep lists and delegate tasks where necessary.
- Support existing systems for special orders and catering orders; recommend improvements.
- Participate in hiring (applicant screening, interviews), training, and review processes.
- Act as point person for conflict resolution during shift.
- Maintain open communication with all staff at all times, including regular meetings with supervisors.
- Demonstrate, encourage, and support a positive, productive, and customer-service-based work environment.
- Ensure cross-training and knowledge base within all sub-departments, including beer/wine, cheese, and bread.
In absence of sub-department leader, Kitchen Manager, or Prepared Foods Manager:
- Set work priorities and direct staff tasks, including break schedule, to ensure productivity.
- Act as point of contact for kitchen during the shift, including special orders, catering, and events; fulfill role model/information conduit needs for all deli staff and customers concerning ingredients and products used.
- Ensure specialty labeling and all signage is appropriate and correct, i.e., vegan, gluten-free, allergy notes, etc.; ensure signage is accurate.
- Facilitate good and effective communication between the kitchen, counter, and cheese staff for operational excellence and enhanced department teamwork.
- Assist with on-the-job training, and support skill development of staff.
- Fill holes in schedules during unexpected absences.
- Participate in hiring and evaluations of department staff.
- Ensure customer service standards and expectations are met by all department staff.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Attend department meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Kitchen Manager.
- Minimum two years Prepared Foods experience.
- Experience cooking for deli, restaurant, or catering.
- Organized attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity with department equipment.
- Ability to stand for long periods and work in close quarters with many team members.
- Ability to communicate in a positive tone with all team members and customers.
- Neat appearance and personable attitude.
- Ability to work varied shifts beginning at 4 am ending after 10 pm.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and an ability to cover shifts as needed.
- Ability to come to work on time for scheduled shifts and accurately use a time clock.
- Ability to follow through on verbal and written instruction.
- Willingness to handle meat and seafood.
- Ability to properly operate and clean an electric meat slicer.
- Ability to follow through on commitments while handling multiple demands.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.