RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: PREPARED FOODS TEAM KITCHEN PORTER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Prepared Foods Team Kitchen Leader
Pay Level: I, non-exempt.
Location: Northampton, MA
Purpose: Maintain sanitation of all deli operations in compliance with health department regulations. The shift is responsible for putting away all incoming deli orders and maintaining organization in the walk-ins and dry storage. Also responsible (when directed) for prep, as well as preparation and packaging of dips, spreads, and salsas for grab n go and service cases.
- Washing and putting away dishes throughout shift
- Responsible for keeping dish room in a clean and working order including polishing machine and emptying all food traps
- Maintain proper chemical levels for the dish machine as directed. Give written and verbal notice to Department Manager and Assistant Manager before a new chemical is needed
- Prepare Deli offerings following specifications of Team Leader and Assistant Team Leader.
- Act as a role model/ information conduit for all staff concerning ingredients and products used in our kitchen
- Accurately label and date all dishes made with all ingredients every time
- Take out kitchen, service, and seating area trash/recycling/food waste as directed by Department Team Leader and Assistant Team Leader
- Maintain Kitchen in orderly condition following guidelines set by Department Team Leader and Assistant Team Leader
- Clean up spills, sweep, mop, polish work area
- Follow all food safety/cold and hot storage procedures
- Advise Department Team Leader and Assistant Team Leader of all equipment repairs, replacements, or upgrades
- Read, and Initial deli communication logs daily.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Attend and participate in storewide and departmental team meetings as scheduled.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Prepared Foods Assistant Manager – Kitchen Focus.
- Organized, attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long hours, and work in close quarters with many team members.
- Ability to communicate in a positive tone with all team members and customers.
- Ability to work varied shifts beginning at 6 am ending after 11 pm.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and an ability to cover shifts as needed.
- Neat appearance and personable attitude.
- Ability to come to work on time for scheduled shifts and accurately use a time clock.
- Ability to follow through on verbal and written instruction.
- Willingness to handle meat and seafood.
- Manual dexterity with department equipment.
- Ability to properly operate and clean an electric meat slicer.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.