RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: OPERATIONS ASSISTANT MANAGER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Operations Manager
Supervises all store in absence of Operations Manager
Pay Level: VII, non-exempt.
Location: Northampton, MA
Purpose: To supervise storewide personnel and overall operations for sales, service, safety, and efficiency. Ensures security, cleanliness, compliance, and general operations during designated shifts. Additionally, they maintain the functionality of the facility and all equipment through simple repairs or management of service vendors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Mediate and resolve workplace conflicts as needed.
- Oversee overall efficiency of workflow throughout the store; responsible for full-store staff supervision (in absence of manager) when on shift, including direction, and priority setting. Monitor department break schedules/logs to ensure all staff members can and have taken breaks according to scheduled hours, and that breaks are spaced to keep the department staffed during all open hours.
- Observe the status of each department and address discrepancies, out-of-stocks, performance issues, or other relevant conditions with staff responsible for that department. Follow up with the Operations Manager and other managers as needed.
- Work regular open/close shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Participate in hiring (applicant screening, interviews) for all departments as needed.
- Assist with on-the-job training, and support skill development of staff.
- Ensure established storewide opening and closing procedures are completed.
- Conduct regular store walks to ensure the store is abundantly stocked and clean.
- Ensure common areas and bathrooms and outdoor areas are neat and cleaned throughout the day.
- Ensure customer and staff safety practices are being followed, including fire safety, slips and falls, electrical, confined spaces, etc.
- Handle customer questions and complaints that cannot be resolved by other staff.
- Ensure excellent internal and external customer service throughout the store.
- Ensure store policies and procedures are followed and take action to correct as needed.
- Address shoplifters, disorderly customers, medical and other emergencies following established procedures.
- Support/manage all customer service functions, including front-end cashier support/assistance. Open a lane and ring through orders when necessary.
- Cover breaks and staff shortages as needed in all other departments, including counter service, packaging, receiving, and stocking.
- Drive Co-op and own vehicle to transport staff and/or equipment.
- Represent the Co-op professionally, following guidelines for dignity and respect, and ensuring that all staff, customers, vendors, and visitors follow the Code of Conduct.
- Order supplies, following guidelines for vendors and with cost control in mind.
- As the Manager on Duty, lead store through any emergency, following Emergency Action Plans.
- Know food safety regulations and ensure departments are following at all times, including receiving, storage, and time and temperature control for safety.
- Model our standard for warm, welcoming, and informed service and support staff to meet that standard.
- Troubleshoot equipment breakdowns using procedures established by the Operations Manager.
- Coordinate and oversee major cleaning/operational projects storewide as directed.
- Support and maintain existing systems, recommending improvements where necessary.
- Coordinate and ensure repair and maintenance services for store operations in absence of the Operations Manager.
- Maintain repair and maintenance records/logs for facility and equipment.
- Complete minor repairs.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Participate in the development of business plans, operating and capital budgets for the store.
- Participate in the development and implementation of staff training programs.
- Participate in store policy/procedure development.
- Attend department meetings, storewide meetings, and huddles as needed.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Operations Manager or Store Manager.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Previous retail grocery work history.
- High-level and proven positive communication skills: good listener, clear instructions.
- Experience developing systems and procedures carry-though and results.
- Demonstrated calmness and decision-making under pressure.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of health department regulations for retail food stores.
- Retail merchandising experience.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- General mechanical aptitude; skills with standard hand and power tools.
- Current, valid MA driver’s license.
- Must have a personal vehicle that reliably transports employees to and from work and remains available during shifts.
- Ability to pass a driver’s background investigation without any citations, points, or areas of concern.
- Attention to detail, accuracy with the information.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, committees, suppliers, customers, and staff.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to work as a collaborative team player.
- Ability to follow through on systems, procedures, and policies.
- Ability to work efficiently and safely in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing conditions quickly.
- Ability to manage time with consistent weekly deadlines for reporting and other time-sensitive assignments.
- Ability to use computers and applicable software and programs, specifically Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to work with customers and co-workers from various cultural backgrounds.
- Willingness to regularly work evenings and at least one-weekend shift.
- Regular, predictable attendance and availability beyond scheduled hours.
- Ability to exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours, including standing, walking, bending, and squatting.
- Ability to use hands or fingers to handle or feel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Ability to use office equipment; computer, Point of Sale, scanner, fax, copier.
- Ability to work in cold, wet conditions.
- Ability to lift to 50 lbs. and occasionally up to 75lbs.
- Ability to commute between Co-op locations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functional job duties.
- Natural and local foods (retail, wholesale).
- The ability to speak Spanish, French, or Swahili is a plus.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.