RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: ASSISTANT MEAT & SEAFOOD MANAGER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Senior Meat & Seafood Manager
Supervises Meat & Seafood Team
Pay Level: VIII, exempt.
Location: Northampton, MA
Purpose: The Assistant Meat & Seafood Manager will provide a high level of service to River Valley Co-op’s internal and external customers and will be responsible for building and maintaining a positive image for our co-op. The Assistant Meat & Seafood Manager will be responsible for establishing and sustaining relationships with consumers and employees by providing direct supervision of sales floor operations, consistent communication, and actionable accountability. Additionally, the Assistant Meat & Seafood Manager will help to initiate and maintain a culture of engagement through training and positive influence.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Order to refill, maintaining the balance of enough stock to meet sales without carrying too much inventory, and meeting inventory turn targets. Train and support staff to do the same.
- Ensure orders and invoices are processed correctly and on time through our Point of Sale and financial systems.
- Establish and maintain ordering schedules, monitor out of stocks, and shift to secondary vendors to avoid them whenever possible.
- Place orders and oversee ordering by staff.
- Partner with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager to purchase products for special deals and promotions. Ensure adequate and timely supply of promoted products.
- Attend trade shows as needed.
- Arrange for cross-training to ensure adequate backup for ordering.
- Partner with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager to conduct periodic price surveys of identified competitors.
- Partner with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager to ensure new products are effectively launched.
- Ensure all new items are added to the Point of Sale before they are put on the shelf.
- Review invoices for accuracy in promotional deals, discounts, costs, selection, and department breakout.
- Ensure invoices are delivered to the Finance Department by the weekly cutoff date.
MERCHANDISING / PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE / FINANCIAL
- In partnership with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager, ensure product displays are eye-catching, seasonally appropriate, and shoppable, with accurate and attractive signage, following merchandising principles.
- Implement store signage programs as developed with Marketing and monitor that the department meets signage standards.
- In partnership with Category, maintain accurate shelf tags and signage.
- Ensure that all product displays, both inside and outside of the building, are clean, rotated, full, and have required signage.
- Assist in planning and implementing seasonal programs.
- Participate in department re-sets as assigned by the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager.
- Support and follow a schedule for in-store product demonstrations.
- Lead sales changeover and in partnership with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager, execute planned displays, ensure signage accuracy, and that store is correctly signed before opening on sales changeover days.
- Provide product information for internal communications, promotions, staff, and customers, as needed or as directed by the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager.
- Review departmental financial reports (sales, labor, margin, and turns) with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager.
- Prepare cuts of meat and seafood for best yield, quality, and customer appeal following brand standards.
- Produce sausage to maintain service level expectations.
- Assist in overseeing adherence to health and safety standards and practices for department meat cutting and food handling.
- Receive product deliveries and oversee receiving by staff, following established receiving procedures.
- Get credit from suppliers where applicable for returned, damaged, spoiled goods. Coordinate storage of items to be returned to suppliers. See that unsellable items are properly disposed of.
- In partnership with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager, mark down items as needed to reduce losses; track shrink if there are margin problems, and understand the quarterly percent of shrink.
- Maintain displays, and storage areas in clean, orderly condition, meeting health and safety standards.
- Lead quarterly inventory counts and schedule staff to ensure efficient, accurate, and timely completion of the inventory.
- Maintain department equipment in working order. Advise Store/Facilities Management of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Stay current with all delivery schedules and ensure that staff and area are prepared for incoming deliveries.
- Follow the special order system to promptly and accurately respond to customer requests.
- Assist in special events, demos, food fairs, etc.
- Maintain a department cleaning schedule and see that it is followed.
- In partnership with the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager, create and update opening and closing checklists, and ensure they are followed.
- Monitor and train staff to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation, and accident prevention principles.
- Ensure proper purchasing, receiving, and storage for safe product integrity.
- Ensure orders are checked in and invoices are processed promptly.
- Ensure all items scan before stocking.
- Organize, label, and maintain backstock areas, keeping stock levels within the space allocated for them.
- Follow our standard for welcoming, informative customer service and lead staff to meet the standard.
- Participate in department, store category, and co-op leadership meetings.
PERSONNEL & TRAINING
- Hire qualified applicants following the established procedure.
- Assist with maintaining a comprehensive training manual for all Meat & Seafood staff.
- Facilitate new staff member training:
- Culture and behavioral expectations.
- Policies and procedures.
- On-the-job training.
- Perform assessment of the probationary period for all new staff.
- Review payroll for direct reports, communicate with HR regarding any deviations from schedule, and respond to time-off requests within seven days.
- Partner with the Store Manager to complete required staff evaluations and address any staff performance issues, including progressive discipline.
- Ensure all Meat & Seafood staff are completing assigned training, including Paycom.
- Utilize interpersonal and communication skills to lead the Meat & Seafood department staff.
- Inspire department staff to deliver outstanding customer service, including product knowledge around taste, use, and storage, finding and selecting products, greeting customers who are within 6 feet, and creating a welcoming and delightful shopping experience.
- Display leadership by providing a positive work environment, counseling employees as appropriate, and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
- Assist with reviewing staffing levels to ensure that operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Stay current on developments in the natural products industry through reading trade publications.
- Write schedules, ensuring they are within budget and posted for staff according to guidelines
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Abide by all Co-op policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and other co-op documents.
- Regular predictable attendance.
- Keep the office orderly and clean.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Senior Meat & Seafood Manager and Store Manager.
- Two (2) years related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of meat cutting experience.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Flexible – willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities.
- Demonstrate objectivity, neutrality, and calm.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to understand and use calculations needed to manage payroll, project sales, and manage department expenses.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, committees, suppliers, customers, and staff.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to work as a collaborative team player.
- Ability to follow through on systems, procedures, and policies.
- Ability to work efficiently and safely in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing conditions quickly.
- Ability to manage time with consistent weekly deadlines for reporting and other time-sensitive assignments.
- Ability to use computers and applicable software and programs, specifically Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to work with customers and co-workers from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours, including standing, walking, bending, and squatting.
- Ability to use hands or fingers to handle or feel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Ability to use office equipment; computer, Point of Sale, scanner, fax, copier.
- Ability to work in cold, wet conditions.
- Ability to lift to 50 pounds, with occasional ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Ability to commute between Co-op locations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functional job duties.
- Natural and local foods (retail, wholesale).
- The ability to speak Spanish, French, or Swahili is a plus.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.