Over 150 co-operators gathered to celebrate Neighboring Food Co-op Association's Sixth Annual Meeting at Greenfield Community College around the theme “Building a Co-operative Future: Inclusive, Diverse & Resilient” for a day of networking, peer learning, and workshops. "What if the residents of communities truly owned the economic base and infrastructure of their communities? What if they owned the farms, the land, the processing facilities and the grocery stores?" Co-ops make the "what if" possible! said keynote Cornelius Blanding, Federation of Southern Co-operatives. Special thanks to our sponsors for supporting this event, including CoBank, Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Associated Buyers, CUNA Mutual Group, National Co-operative Bank, New England Farmers Union, Cooperative Fund of New England, FEDCO Seeds, and Food Co-op Initiative.
- NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting: Morning Presentation with Reports
- The Next Half Century of Co-operation, Cornelius Blandin: NFCA Sixth AGM Keynote
- NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting: Afternoon Presentation
- Access, Inclusion & Participation: Building More Welcoming Co-ops: NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting
- Expansions & Resets: Reaching More Customers: NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting
- Financial Tools for Start-ups, Food Co-op Initiative, NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting
- NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting Sample Newsletter Story
- NFCA Sixth Annual Meeting Information Packet
- Photos from the meeting: http://s.coop/nfcaagmphotos2017
- Everyone is Welcome sign templates
Morning sessions included reports by the NFCA Board of Directors and Staff on our activitites and progress in 2016, and prioirities for 2017.
- Erbin Crowell, Executive Director, NFCA
- Alexis Alexander, GreenStar Co-op Market
- Patrice Lockert Anthony, Board President, GreenStar Co-op Market
- Terry Bowling, Eastern Corridor Development Manager, National Co+op Grocers
- GreenStar Co-op Market Diversity and Inclusion Factsheet 2017.pdf
At NFCA'S Sixth Annual Meeting, NFCA Member Co-ops share key factors for successful expansions and resets, especially in terms of Board / Management alignment, planning, and execution. Whether your food co-op is considering a new location or store improvement, or is in the process, this presentation offers examples of how we can grow our food co-ops in a competitive environment.
- Dami Odetola, Vice President, National Cooperative Bank, Facilitator
- Julia Curry, Board President, City Market / Onion River Co-op
- Alec Goodwin, Store Manager, McCusker’s Co-op Market (Franklin Community Co-op)
- Brandon Kane, General Manager, GreenStar Co-op Market
- John Tashiro, General Manager, City Market / Onion River Co-op
Stuart Reid, Executive Director, Food Co-op Initiative (FCI), presented to start-up staff, steering committee, and Board members at NFCA's Sixth Annual Meeting. This presentation reviews some of the most important financial tools that every start-up food co-op needs. This includes Sources & Uses budget, financial pro formas, and market studies, and focus on how to understand these tools and use the information to strengthen your co-op's plans.
Additional resource: Sample Board Budgets for Start-ups