RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Store Assistant Manager
Pay Level: III, non-exempt.
Location: Easthampton, MA
Purpose: The Receiver is responsible for receiving all products delivered to the store and for making sure they get to their respective departments promptly. This includes checking trucks and products for proper temperature and intact packaging, maintaining required logs, and processing product return. They maintain our receiving area, keeping it organized, safe, and clean. They ensure accountability for receiving paperwork and security of inventory and enter information about products received into our Point of Sale and accounting systems.
- Maintain all receiving areas to ensure safe and efficient deliveries and pick-ups, including daily sweeping, seasonal snow removal, and daily waste removal.
- Check deliveries to verify piece count, and check for obvious damage. Keep records of discrepancies and communicate to the appropriate manager.
- Check and record temperatures of all Time and Temperature Controlled (TCS) foods, refusing deliveries, documenting and communicating about the reason for the refusal to both vendors and department managers.
- Unload trucks, and direct and assist other staff with unloading as needed.
- Sign for deliveries with appropriate adjustments noted on the invoice.
- Ensure products are picked up by or delivered to the appropriate department, making sure that any TCS foods are returned to refrigeration within 30 minutes of the completion of delivery.
- Process invoices directly in the Point of Sale system and/or deliver invoices with products to the appropriate department.
- Process product returns, ensuring returned items get back to appropriate suppliers promptly.
- Prepare product returns for donation and partner with community organizations to ensure a smooth and efficient pick-up of donated products.
- Call suppliers for credit on designated orders.
- Process orders for our Buyers club, including placing orders, receiving and setting aside orders, processing paper, and online orders, pricing and applying the appropriate discount, and contacting customers to arrange for pick-up.
- Coordinate with Operations to ensure timely pick-up of waste containers.
- Maintain returnable bottle, pallet, and container storage areas and ensure they are picked up regularly to avoid excess space demands.
- Maintain receiving area storage, including keeping backstock stored in designated areas, as well as carts, boats, containers, stools, and tools.
- Material handling of store trash, beverage returnable, box baler/compactor, recycling, and compost.
- Provide routine maintenance on equipment, and communicate with Operations to arrange repairs promptly.
- When time allows, assist in stocking products on the sales floor, and assist customers.
- Maintain the security of our back door access, including theft prevention.
- Bring any questions or concerns about systems or processes or possible theft or damage of product or equipment to the manager promptly.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Attend meetings with departments, managers, Point of Sale Specialists, and other staff as requested by management.
- Perform other tasks assigned by managers.
- Friendly, motivated, self-driven, and willing to go the extra mile and make a memorable experience for both internal and external Co-op customers.
- Comfort and experience entering data into computer programs excellent attention to detail and ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to perform simple arithmetic.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously while working within a deadline.
- Sense of urgency.
- Experience and comfort with moving heavy objects using both a manual jack and a powered industrial truck safely.
- Demonstrated ability to work with customers and co-workers from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to listen well, give clear instructions, and present a clear speaking voice on the telephone and in person.
- The ability to work productively and independently.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours, including standing, walking, bending, and squatting.
- May be required to lift and/or move up to 75 pounds frequently.
- Ability to work in conditions that are not climate controlled and are weather-driven in all seasons.
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Manual dexterity with department equipment; able to operate unloading machinery.
- 3 years of successful experience with receiving and handling a large number of products.
- Comfort and experience using Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Experience with natural and local foods, in a retail or wholesale setting.
- The ability to speak Spanish, French, or Swahili is a plus.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.