RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: MEAT & SEAFOOD TEAM MEMBER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Meat & Seafood Assistant Manager
Pay Level: II, non-exempt.
Location: Easthampton, MA
Purpose: To provide prompt, friendly, courteous customer service and to help cut, wrap, and display fresh meat and seafood to meet department objectives.
- Grind meats and produce sausage to maintain adequate supplies of each flavor.
- Prepare and/or wrap meat, poultry, and seafood value-added products following established recipes and standards for appearance, size, weight, and wrap.
- Cut and/or wrap meat, poultry, and seafood following established guidelines and instructions from the Meat & Seafood Assistant Manager or Lead Cutter.
- Assist customers with product questions, in a prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Offer suggestions for purchases and ways to use products. Offer tastes and samples.
- Cut and wrap poultry and seafood and wrap meat to order (if authorized for requested cuts).
- Help customers place special orders.
- Maintain fully stocked, attractive displays, while maintaining proper storage conditions.
- Label items accurately with price tags or signs as needed.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, and complaints to the Meat & Seafood Assistant Manager.
- Pull short-dated or low-quality items, record, and dispose of them following established procedures.
- Keep coolers, food prep, and storage areas in clean, sanitary conditions, meeting health department standards.
- Sweep and mop the floor as needed and take out the trash.
- Scrub and rinse blocks, floors, walls, cases following established procedures.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts.
- Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Advise the Meat & Seafood Assistant Manager of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Assist with receiving as needed. Check deliveries for damage, quality, and accuracy, notify the Meat & Seafood Assistant Manager of discrepancies. Rotate deliveries into storage.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Meat & Seafood Assistant Manager.
- Attend department meetings and storewide meetings.
- Some retail fresh meat/seafood cutting experience is preferred.
- Experience serving the public.
- Ability to project a friendly, outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Ability to lift to 60 lbs.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to work in cold conditions.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.