RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: MEAT & SEAFOOD SHIFT LEADER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Meat & Seafood Senior Manager
Pay Level: IV, non-exempt.
Location: Easthampton, MA
Purpose: To provide support to the Meat & Seafood Senior Manager and Assistant Manager with supervising department closing shifts; to ensure department operational goals are met during shifts to meet goals for sales, margin, labor expense, and customer service; to act as a supervisor in absence of managers.
- Grind meats and produce sausage to maintain adequate supplies of each flavor.
- Prepare and/or wrap meat, poultry, and seafood value-added products following established recipes and standards for appearance, size, weight, and wrap.
- Cut and/or wrap meat, poultry, and seafood following established guidelines and instructions from the Meat & Seafood Senior Manager or Lead Cutter.
- Ensure compliance with HACCP standards and procedures and maintenance of required documentation.
- Assist customers with product questions, in a prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Offer suggestions for purchases and ways to use products. Offer tastes and samples.
- Cut and wrap poultry and seafood and wrap meat to order (if authorized for requested cuts).
- Help customers place special orders.
- Maintain fully stocked, attractive displays, while maintaining proper storage conditions.
- Label items accurately with price tags or signs as needed.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, and complaints to the Meat & Seafood Senior Manager.
- Pull short-dated or low-quality items, record and dispose of them following established procedures.
- Keep retail cases, coolers, food prep, and storage areas in clean, sanitary condition, meeting health department standards.
- Sweep and mop the floor as needed and take out the trash.
- Scrub and rinse blocks, floors, walls, cases following established procedures.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts.
- Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Advise the Meat & Seafood Senior Manager of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Assist with receiving as needed. Check deliveries for damage, quality, and accuracy, notify the Meat & Seafood Senior Manager of discrepancies. Rotate deliveries into storage.
- Take inventories and place orders to ensure uninterrupted supply.
- Receive orders, review paperwork for accuracy; or ensure proper receiving by other Meat & Seafood staff.
- Get credit from suppliers when applicable.
- Visit other stores for comparison/contrast of offered items, pricing, displays, etc. Make recommendations to managers based on trends observed.
SUPERVISION & LEADERSHIP
- Set work priorities and direct staff, including break schedule, to ensure productivity.
- Ensure customer service standards and expectations are met by all staff.
- Ensure food safety practices are adhered to. Ensure safe, efficient, and effective equipment use by staff.
- Facilitate good communication between the opening and closing shifts for operational excellence and good department teamwork. Act as a point person for conflict resolution during shifts.
- Fill holes in the counter staff schedule when needed.
- Provide on-the-job training and support development of counter staff.
- Participate in hiring, training, and evaluations of department staff.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Attend department and storewide meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Meat & Seafood Senior Manager.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Meat and/or Seafood experience in a retail environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills, with a focus on positive and productive results.
- Demonstrated/proven ability to follow through on commitments.
- Organized, attentive to details.
- Ability to lift 75 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to work in a cold, wet environment.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to give clear instructions.
- Regular, predictable attendance; flexible availability including nights, weekends, and early morning.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.