RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: GROCERY TEAM MEMBER
Full-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Assistant Grocery Manager
Pay Level: II, non-exempt.
Location: Easthampton, MA
Purpose: Keep displays, coolers, and shelves fully stocked and provide prompt, friendly, courteous customer service in the grocery, bulk, and perishables departments.
STOCKING & REPLACEMENT ORDERS
- Stock displays fully without overcrowding; face items on shelves
- Rotate older stock to the front, making space for new stock.
- Pull short-dated or low-quality items and follow established procedures for recording and disposing of them.
- Label items accurately with price takes or signs. Report price discrepancies to appropriate staff.
- Maintain stocking lists for later shifts. Notify buyers of out-of-stocks.
- Ensure that refill orders are placed to ensure regular replacement supply and adequate supply for special deals.
- Assist customers with product questions, in a prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Lead customers to products whenever possible.
- Offer suggestions for purchases and ways to prepare products.
- Help customers place special orders.
RECEIVING (provide backup)
- Check deliveries to verify piece count; notify the buyer of discrepancies.
- Check for damage and unacceptable quality; notify the buyer of discrepancies.
- Help with unloading as needed.
- Sign for deliveries with appropriate adjustments noted on the invoice and route the invoice to the buyer.
- Rotate overstock into storage.
- Update the stocking list as orders come in.
- Keep shelves, coolers, bins, and department items in clean, orderly condition.
- Remove trash promptly; sweep and mop the floor.
- Keep department equipment in the assigned area, in working order.
- Use equipment safely. Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Advise Assistant Grocery Manager of equipment problems.
- Participate in periodic inventory.
ALL STAFF DUTIES
- Attend department and storewide meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Assistant Grocery Manager.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds continuously.
- Manual dexterity with department equipment.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Experience serving the public.
- Familiarity with natural foods.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.