RVC Our Mission: River Valley Co-op staff members are all empowered ambassadors for our cooperative’s greater mission of creating a just marketplace that nourishes the community. As an organization, we are committed to social justice and developing our anti-racism skills through our diversity, equity, and inclusion program. As a team, we work to leverage grocery retail’s economic impact for positive social change in the food system, our environment, and our community. Our friendly store operations build community and grow our local economy by providing fresh, local, and seasonal products accessible to everyone in our community. Cooperative values and the larger cooperative movement inspire us, and our community-owned business values sustainability in products and practices. We work hard and have fun doing it, we act with honesty, kindness, and respect, and we strive to get better every day.
Position: CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM MEMBER
Part-time. Requires open availability, including evenings and weekends.
Status: Reports to Customer Service Assistant Manager
Pay Level: II, non-exempt.
Location: Northampton, MA
Purpose: Our Customer Service team is responsible for welcoming shoppers into our stores, both physical and virtual, and processing their orders with efficiency and accuracy. Everyone on the team’s essential contribution is to meet people where they are and do their very best to make every shopper feel welcome and appreciated.
- Create and maintain a feeling of welcoming friendliness for all shoppers and community members when they visit our stores.
- Process shopper purchases at our registers and on the web cart accurately and efficiently, including applying the appropriate discounts, coupons, and tenders.
- Memorize Produce item Price Look Up numbers, and learn the correct physical and financial home department for every category of product that we sell.
- Handle payment tenders with accuracy and meet department standards for cash drawer accuracy.
- Package customer purchases with care, special attention to the placement of delicate items, food safety, and customer requests.
- Offer carry-out service to shoppers. When in our parking lot, maintain personal safety through awareness of others and adherence to right-of-way rules, and maintain lot safety through collecting carts and picking up discarded items.
- Shop customer’s web cart orders efficiently and accurately.
- Answer external calls promptly, and take responsibility for the call until the callers needs are met.
- Accept and process Buying Club orders as needed.
- Be familiar with Co-op products and policies so that you may answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions to the appropriate co-worker, doing your best to make sure the customer doesn’t have to repeat themselves.
- Be familiar with the benefits of co-op ownership, and provide helpful information about it to customers who are not owners process owner payments.
- Participate in ownership drives.
- Be informed about co-op specials and events, and communicate the details to shoppers.
- Make effective use of downtime, including bagging for co-workers, stocking and packaging products, maintaining full stock levels in product departments, assisting on service counters, and participating in projects across the store as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, tidy, and safe work environment.
- Maintain a cool head under pressure and embrace busy times as a sign of success.
- Attend and participate in team and store meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Customer Service Leadership and Manager on Duty.
- Experience serving the public.
- Familiarity with natural foods.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Ability to project an outgoing, friendly personality.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
River Valley Co-op is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity.