DELI ASSISTANT MANAGER
To assist in the smooth operation of the deli, which includes preparation of ingredients, preparation of sandwiches, salads, breakfast items, and hot specials, packaging of deli foods, stocking shelves, cleaning, and providing excellent customer service. This position also supports the deli manager as needed in purchasing and merchandising.
Non-exempt, full-time position
Reports to Deli Manager
PAY LEVEL: II
- Prepare daily offerings following specifications of recipes.
- Prep for sandwiches and other meals.
- Keep department’s retail area fully stocked by preparing and refilling containers as needed.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date records of inter-departmental transfers.
- Cross train with other employees to ensure knowledge and support for department operations.
- Assist manager with ordering and other duties as requested and following established procedure.
- Clean as you go, and maintain work areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Follow USDA and NY State law regarding the use, labeling, and handling of allergens.
- Follow standard sanitation operating procedures as set by management and health department.
- Ensure proper labeling and storage as per health department.
- Participate in inventory counts as directed by management.
- Notify management of supplies needed and equipment problems or requirements.
- Monitor temperatures in cases and coolers.
- Pull old or low-quality items, record, and dispose of them according to established procedure.
- Share dish-washing duties with co-workers.
- Plan attractive displays with uniform signage; ensure displays are fully stocked, rotated, and fronted.
- Ensure accurate, up-to-date price, ingredient, and date labeling of items, shelf tags and sale signs.
- Assist in planning and implementing seasonal programs.
- Create innovative ideas for merchandising at the Co-op.
- Customer Service
- Provide friendly and efficient service to all customers.
- Be willing to assist customers and members in finding the items they are looking for, even if not in deli department.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers and staff.
Ability to multi-task and remain flexible to the changing needs of the business
Friendly, genuine customer service
Availability to work weekends, days, or evenings
Prior experience working in commercial kitchen and knowledge of food safety practices
Demonstrated skills in basic food preparation
Demonstrated ability to work productively, efficiently, and independently
Willing to be a team player
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly
Ability to be on your feet for 8 hours
Ability to continuously lift, reach, and twist
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $22.00 per hour